Longjing (Dragonwell) Green Tea
Green tea has been enjoyed for thousands of years and is a staple in China and other cultures around the world. Known for its refreshing flavor and numerous health benefits, green tea is a must-try for anyone who loves tea.
In this blog article, we will explore what green tea is, its history, and why it is so popular. We will also delve into the many health benefits that green tea has to offer and how you can brew the perfect cup of green tea with the Qi Aerista Smart Tea Brewer.
What is Green Tea?
Green tea is a type of tea that is made from the leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant. Unlike black tea, the leaves are not oxidized, which gives green tea its unique flavor and lighter color. Green tea is one of the five main types of tea, along with black, white, oolong and dark (Pu’er) tea.
History of Green Tea
Green tea has a long and rich history that dates back thousands of years. It is believed to have originated in China and was used for both medicinal and ceremonial purposes. The earliest written references to green tea date back to the 8th century AD, during the Tang Dynasty. Today, green tea is enjoyed all over the world and is a staple in many cultures, particularly in Asia.
Types of Green Tea
Some of the most popular types of green tea include:
- Longjing -This is a popular Chinese green tea known for its nutty, toasty flavor and flat, elongated leaves. It is from Hangzhou in Zhejiang province and is sometimes referred to as "Dragonwell." It has a delicate, slightly sweet flavor.
- Huangshan Maofeng - This is a Chinese green tea from Anhui province with a light, fresh flavor and a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- Yunwu - This is a Chinese green tea from Jiangxi province with a slightly smoky flavor and a soft, sweet aftertaste.
- Xinyang Maojian - This is a Chinese green tea from Henan province with a light, delicate flavor and a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- Guapian - This is a Chinese green tea from Anhui province with a mild, delicate flavor and a soft, sweet aftertaste.
- Sencha - This is a popular type of green tea in Japan and is characterized by its delicate flavor and bright green color.
- Matcha - This is a fine powder made from ground green tea leaves and is traditionally used in Japanese tea ceremonies. It has a vibrant green color and a slightly sweet, earthy flavor.
- Gyokuro - This is a high-quality Japanese green tea known for its delicate flavor and bright green color. It is made from shade-grown tea leaves and has a higher concentration of amino acids and antioxidants.
- Genmaicha - This is a Japanese green tea made by blending roasted brown rice with green tea leaves. It has a nutty, toasty flavor and is often referred to as "popcorn tea".
These are just a few of the many popular types of green tea. Whether you prefer a light, delicate flavor or a bold, toasty taste, there is a green tea out there for everyone.
Processing of Green Tea
The processing of green tea typically involves the following steps:
- Withering: The freshly plucked tea leaves are spread out to dry in a shaded or well-ventilated area to allow some of the moisture to evaporate, which makes the leaves more pliable and easier to handle.
- Fixation: The withered leaves are then quickly heated or steamed to stop the oxidation process. This is usually done by pan-firing the leaves or passing them through a machine that applies heat or steam.
- Rolling: The fixed leaves are then rolled or twisted to shape the leaves and release any remaining moisture. This also helps to break down the cell walls in the leaves and release flavor compounds.
- Drying: The rolled leaves are then dried using low-heat methods, such as air-drying or baking, to remove any remaining moisture and stabilize the flavor and aroma of the tea.
- Sorting and Grading: The final step in the process is sorting the tea leaves into different grades based on their size, shape, and quality.
The processing of green tea is designed to preserve the natural flavor and aroma of the tea leaves while preventing oxidation, which results in a delicate, grassy flavor and a pale green or yellowish green color in the finished tea.
Why is Green Tea so Popular?
Green tea is popular for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons is its refreshing flavor, which is perfect for those who love a light and crisp tea. Green tea is also known for its numerous health benefits, which we will explore in more detail later in this article. Additionally, green tea is incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed plain or with a variety of flavors such as lemon, mint, or ginger.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
Green tea is not just a delicious beverage, it also has numerous health benefits. Research has shown that drinking green tea can help boost your metabolism, lower your risk of heart disease, and reduce your risk of certain types of cancer. Green tea is also a great source of antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage. Additionally, green tea has been shown to improve mental alertness and may even help with weight loss.
How to Brew Perfect Green Tea with Qi Aerista
Brew Green Tea with Qi Aerista Smart Tea Brewer
Brewing the perfect cup of green tea with the Qi Aerista Smart Tea Brewer is easy and straightforward. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Start by adding 1 to 3 cups of water to the brewer’s pot.
- Place your green tea leaves in the infuser basket. One teaspoon of tea leaves per cup of water added is a good starting point, but feel free to adjust to your liking.
- Place the infuser basket onto the pot and close the lid.
- Place the pot onto the base. Turn on the brewer.
- Select the Green tea type and press BREW. The preset brewing temperature is 80°C/176°F. The preset brewing time is 3 minutes. You can adjust the settings on your Qi Aerista app.
- Qi Aerista completes the brewing process automatically. It first heats the water to the target brewing temperature. Then the patented infusion system kicks in and brews the tea within the preset brewing time.
- Once the brewing is done, tea leaves and finished tea will separate automatically. The tea will enter the keep warm mode for up to 60 minutes.
- When ready, just pour out the tea and serve. Sit back and enjoy your perfect cup of green tea with Qi Aerista.
Green tea is a refreshing and healthy beverage that has been enjoyed for thousands of years. With its crisp flavor and numerous health benefits, it's no wonder why it's so popular. Whether you prefer it plain or with a twist, green tea is a must-try for tea lovers everywhere. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why green tea is so beloved?